Keeping a healthy weight is crucial. If you are underweight, overweight, or obese, you may have a higher risk of certain health problems. About two-thirds of adults in the U.S. are overweight or obese. Achieving a healthy weight can help you control your cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar. It might also help you prevent weight-related diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis and some cancers.
Please visit HERE for Weight Control Articles!!!!!
Weight Control Tips (Especially gaining weight around the belly):
- Sleep more!!!!!! You are not sleeping enough if you are gaining weight around the waist line. It is 100% sure caused by too low cortisol in the morning and too high cortisol in the evening. We all live in 24 hours daily rhythm. If your daily rhythm is out of balance for the prolonged time, the chances are you started to gain some weight around waist line and you can not get rid of it no matter how you restrict your food intake and go to the gym every single day. I treat those patients with Adrenal & Thyroid (Free T3 controls body’s metabolism. A lot of people have a PROBLEM here!!!) treatment to balance hormones and blood sugar with acupuncture, supplement (if OK with my patients) and diet/lifestyle changes. Stabilizing your circadian rhythm = healthy cortisol and melatonin production level = you can keep your healthy weight
- Drink 1 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar (with 4 oz of water) before each meal.
- If you are male, think about doing Intermittent Fasting for a week or two! For women, if you are not fatigued anytime of the day, you may go for it.
- Take CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) 1 gram capsule x 3/day into your regimen.
- Take MCT oil with morning shake. Start with 1 tsp and bring up to 1 tbsp in the morning.
- Have a protein rich (20-25g) breakfast with MCT oil! It will stabilize your blood sugar level nice and smooth all day long. If you are eating the standard American breakfast, your blood sugar will be up and down roller coaster all day long which is the worst thing you can do if you are going to lose weight!
- Eat Shirataki Noodles instead of pasta.
- Add Resistant Starch on your diet!!! Start with protein rich breakfast – My first choice is hypoallergenic hydrolyzed collagen protein powder. #2 is hemp or pea, #3 is whey or egg while protein powder with 1-2 tbsp of “resistant starch” (green banana, plantain or potato starch flour). 2 Eggs with breakfast sausage will be so much better than a piece of toast or a bagel with cream cheese for sure. Protein based breakfast vs Carbohydrate based breakfast will make a HUGE difference in the world on the daily blood sugar rhythm.
- Work with the functional medicine practitioner who understands how to treat adrenal fatigue, gut dysfunction, mineral & nutrition imbalance
- Eat soup or salad for lunch – make sure your salad contains some protein and fat and avoid sweet and creamy salad dressing
- Eat carbohydrate rich dinner – get complex carbohydrate from various vegetables, some starchy vegetables and occasional quinoa and rice.
- Add good FAT to each meal – grass-fed butter, coconuts oil, avocado oil, walnuts oil, macadamia nuts oil (high smoke point -> suitable for cooking), olive oil (for dressing), avocado, nuts, and seeds. Remember, eat smart FAT to lose your belly FAT!!!!!!!
- Avoid using all vegetable oil, margarine, HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) contained foods. They will inflame you from the core (cellular level) once you digest
- Avoid eating gluten and dairy contained foods – Gluten is hidden in everywhere !!!!!
- Think about doing intermittent fasting if you do not have thyroid or adrenal fatigue
- Reading material recommendations -> Adrenal Reset Diet written by Alan Christianson, NMD
- This is the scale I recommend– show your weight, water, muscle, fat % and bone weight. I think it worths $50- by Amazon.
- Learn how to do “Mindful Eating”. Here’s articles how to do it and its benefits. Get out of Auto Pilot, Mastering Mindful Meal (B&W Hospital), Mindful Eating Psychology Today Article
- This is free 1-hour seminar “The Body type” on YouTube by Eric Berg D.C. and his book “The 7 Principle of Fat Burning“.
- Amino Acids supplement contains Glycine, Ornitine, Arginine, and Lysine
- Remember 5 plant based protein rich foods – Garbanzo beans, avocado, quinoa, green, peas and lentils.
- Here’s 61 easy ways to lose wight article
- Arenal Stress & Weight Gain around the belly – are they related? (Marcelle Pick NP)
Please check “HealthyLiving” page(scroll down) metabolism, B-vitamin and Iodine section.
Healthy Food Ideas
It’s important to start the day with protein! This can come in the form of eggs, greek yogurt, kefir, or even a protein shake as your breakfast. Wait for 2 hours to eat any carbohydrates (banana, apples, etc…) – this will help stabilize blood sugar, and keep your energy up.
- Make a tasty low calorie but very filling smoothie with banana, frozen berries, mango, a couple ice cubes and organic protein powder+ fiber powder (SP)
- Small curd, fat free cottage cheese “Pineapple flavored” with chopped apple (1 apple) – surprisingly tasty and satisfying.
- Omelet with hummus and avocado
- Cooked Quinoa + blueberries + coconut / almond milk + flax seeds / chia seeds + 3 drops of NuNatural Stevia for sweetness (Tamie’s Tip: If you eat a bowl of cereal or oatmeal, sprinkle with slivered almonds for additional boost of protein!)
With our busy lives, lunch can be a difficult meal to find time for, but it’s so important! Salads and soups can be a quick, filling and healthy lunch! And for a treat, eat out one day a week! Try my favorite place, Masao’s Kitchen, which offers one of the kind macrobiotic foods (Moody Street in Waltham).
- Salad Tip #1 — add a can of black beans! Beans are very filling and are a great food for boosting your energy. (Tamie’s Tip: Spicy black beans will raise appetiete-suppressing hormones and reduce hunger-causing hormone!)
- Salad Tip #2 — add avocado!
- Try a low-carb wrap with alfalfa + avocado + hummus – not so hard to make !
- Soup with root vegetables, cabbages, beans, lentils etc… and separated into one serving sized container-glass preferred. It is easy to reheat when you are “really” hungry.
- Organic yogurt (not greek creamy yogurt) – small sized one is nice and handy if you have access to refrigerator.
- A stick of cheese (soy base preferred) to ease the hunger
- Chip craving – you can eat lower calorieschips
- Organic celery stick dip into Almond Butter (I like Barney’s Almond Butter.)
- Juicing – is the big time winner ! For more info, check out the “Juicing” page.
- Herbal Tea at Virtuous Teas in Newton MA. My favorite is Honeybush and Vanilla Rooibos Tea.
- A cup of tea for weight control #1-Chickweed Tea (more info)
- A cup of tea for weight control #2-Pu-erh Tea (strawberry pu-erh)
- Tea choice for weight control #3-Mate Tea (this tea is also good for under active thyroidism)
- Tea choice for weight control #4-Jasmine Tea, Oolong Tea, Jasmine & Green Tea from Stassen (this tea has very pleasant jasmine aroma-comes with tea bags)
- Green Coffee Bean Extract + Raspberry Ketones capsule ( Oz show video clip). * Watch for coffee bean scam
- Saffron Extract called “Satiereal”for emotional eating and depression
- Take Omega 3 Fish oil – Leptin & Ghrelin and weight Raspberry Extract (supplement) for weight control loss article
- Do you suffer from anxiety, insomnia, constant anger ? Try L-Theanine, passion flower or valerian roots. They all comes with powder, capsules or tinctures.
Why do you need to take L-Carnitine? Stage 1 on Citric Cycle pathway is broken – If Fat is not absorbed well in this stage, gallbladder and liver have a hard time digesting fat coming in as macronutrient – big distress to GI and not enough energy (citric cycle) to be made – affects on all chronic diseases